For most of us however - when exploring trustworthy free virtual private networks for Android - the main threat is confirming if your service is actually trustworthy.
Let’s explore, also covering the top free VPNs for Android today.
The Best ‘Free’ VPNs for Android. (Why They Aren’t Free.)
A VPN is a remote data encryption technology that uses a network of computers to encrypt your data and make it harder to trace back to you.
It can also enhance how secure online identity is, as well as unlocking restrictions on social platforms like Meta or streaming platforms like Netflix.
But free VPNs can be sketchy… Remember, anyone can set up a VPN service and make millions of dollars selling it. Indeed, Android users should have caution against one particular risk: That of the free VPN app.” (Source: Malwarebytes Labs.)
- It’s not unusual for free VPNs to secretly monitor your online activities, eg. online banking, to collect data for the “big name” VPN services.
- 💳 Furthermore, hackers can try to crack into your computer system and access your sensitive data, like your credit card numbers.
- And of course, your online privacy can be violated if a free VPN provider shares your personal data with outside parties.
- 📕 Many popular free VPNs for Android have not undergone auditing by third parties (as these things cost money!)
1. NordVPN – Overall Best Strings-Free VPN for Android
Although Netflix took a 25% dump on the value of its own stocks by declaring war on Russia - no doubt, some Russians will still be using the service anonymously through NordVPN.
NordVPN - the first ever major VPN to seek third-party auditing assurance to test its no-logs policies, which it has done on several occasions - is a well-known name in the VPN market. They have been around for quite some time, and they are still one of the most useful and feature-rich VPNs out there.
Founded in 2009, they’re one of the oldest and most trusted providers in the industry. It was one of the first providers to support OpenVPN and is still one of the most widely used VPNs today. In fact, the service has more than 10 million users.
The VPN service was formed by three former IPTV providers who were frustrated with the growing popularity of online video. The founders of the company — Matthew Polka, Jason Calacanis, and Ted Kim — saw an opportunity to create a new service that would provide a better experience for its customers. Most VPNs have a goal of providing security and privacy, but NordVPN’s main focus is on speed. That’s why the company partners with the world’s most advanced Internet technologies to deliver top-notch VPN experiences.
This provider pretty much has it all: speed (especially when using their Kill Switch option), privacy, reliability, and price. In fact, we’ve done a comprehensive NordVPN review already.
How it Works 🌞
NordVPN’s servers are located all over the world, with the majority located in Asia Pacific and Europe. According to their website, the company has over 5,000 servers in 133 locations, including the United States, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
When you first sign up for the service, you’ll receive a free year’s subscription to their premium service. After that, you can continue to use the basic version for only $6.95 per month (that’s $83.36 per year).
- ☑️ Great privacy and security: The VPN service is based on the OpenVPN protocol, making it open-source and reliable. This means that users' privacy and data security are of the highest priority for the team behind the application.
- ☑️ Easy to use interface: The app is user-friendly and comes with a good range of options for users who want to get into the ins and outs of the VPN service quickly. Encryption that works everywhere: The VPN service uses strong encryption protocols, making it hard for unauthorised parties to access users' data.
- ☑️ Fast network: The network performance is excellent, with no signs of drops or hiccups. This is important, as it means fewer chances for snoops to interfere with users' browsing sessions.
- ☑️ No logging policy: The no-logging policy means that the service keeps no records of user activity. This is great for users who want ultimate privacy and don't want to give any away. Stable connection: The connection quality is good, with no major issues that affect users' enjoyment of the service.
2. Surfshark – Top Logs-Free VPN for Android
Whenever you’re using your computer to access the Internet, you need a secure connection.
Surfshark VPN is an extremely affordable and feature-rich solution for protecting your online identity and browsing habits.
The company’s ultra-compact user interface makes it easy to set up and use, and its simple yet flexible plans provide outstanding value. You can even use the service in conjunction with another provider to create a dedicated, anonymous network.
If you’re looking for the best all-around anonymous internet surfing provider, then Surfshark should be at the top of your list of candidates. We’ve done a comprehensive review of this company in the past.
Surfshark VPN has a long and illustrious history dating back to 2011 when it was first conceived. The idea of the service was to facilitate the safe and secure web surfing experiences for users in the United Kingdom. The company quickly grew from a small idea into a well-established service with over 2 million registered users in just two years. Today, the company is one of the leading VPN providers in the market and has offices in the U.S., UK, Germany, France, and Ireland.
How it works
Surfshark VPN is a fast, super-compact, no-log VPN service that’s easy to set up and use. It’s powered by the OpenVPN protocol, which is a well-regarded, open-source implementation of the necessary cryptographic and hardware functions. With the company’s no-logging policy, you can rest assured that your browsing and online activity are kept as confidential as possible.
The service is web-based, so you won’t have to deal with complicated software installation or configuration issues. One of the best things about Surfshark VPN is its great level of Mac and Windows support. Using either operating system, the user interface is incredibly simple and intuitive. When it comes to both tunnelling protocols, Support for L2TP/IPsec is also top-notch.
If you want to use Surfshark VPN without a long-term commitment, you’ll need to pay around a tenner for a monthly subscription. If you buy a year’s worth, it amounts to about three of these months in cost, so it’s a pretty reasonable plan.
3. ExpressVPN – Top Hassle-Free VPN for Android
ExpressVPN is an incredibly fast service that unblocks entertainment websites, including Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sling, Ad-Hoc, and Vudu.
It’s tempting to go with a free VPN, but these options tend to have shady backgrounds or little to no history.
On the other hand, ExpressVPN (full review) has a long and transparent history. To start with, it was founded in early 2009, in the aftermath of the global financial crisis. It started out offering services to corporate clients, but soon expanded its operations to offer VPN services to individuals. It has over 400 employees in its headquarters in the United States, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
The company is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, which also maintains offices in North America, Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. Its founder and CEO, Mr. Geoffrey Lee, has a long history of leadership in the VPN industry. Before starting the company, Lee was the co-founder and Chief Product Officer of PICAXE, a company that developed the world’s first high-speed, long-distance smart-grid communications system.
How it Works
VPN technologies are used to create a secure connection between a user’s device and a VPN server. This allows the user to access geographically restricted content, like BBC iPlayer or Netflix, with a single click on their remote device.
All the data that passes through the VPN server is encrypted, and it can’t be read by anyone other than the recipient. This protects the data from being intercepted, and it also prevents third parties from seeing the contents of the communication.
VPNs are typically used with remote devices like smartphones, laptops and desktops, but they can also be used with smart TVs, game consoles, and other Internet-connected devices.
There are a number of features that make ExpressVPN stand out as one of the best VPN providers for users:
- ☑️ Smart Lock - The Smart Lock feature allows users to automatically connect to their preferred devices, like a home router, when they launch the app on their remote devices.
- ☑️ Split Tunnelling - Split Tunnelling allows users to create two VPN connections on their remote devices. With this option, users can choose between the VPN connection and their default Internet connection.
- ☑️ Automatic kill switch - Automatic kill switch is a security feature that automatically kills all traffic if the VPN connection is disrupted. For example, it can detect when the Internet connection is being throttled, or when the VPN server is getting hacked.
- ☑️ DNS & IPv6 Leak Protection - DNS Leak Protection protects your device from requests that are sent unencrypted.
- ☑️ Leak Protection - IPv6 Leak Protection protects users from IPv6 requests that are sent unencrypted.
4. CyberGhost - Top Free-Trial VPN for Android
CyberGhost is a high-quality service offering many features, including a free trial account.
CyberGhost was created in 2014 by a group of former Russian and Ukrainian intelligence officers with a focus on providing an ad-free browsing experience.
The founders of the VPN service also have a track record in the IT security industry, having worked together to help businesses and government agencies protect their networks against cyberattacks. This is a relatively new service, so its overall history isn’t very long. However, the team has put a lot of effort into its growth and development, so it’s little wonder that CyberGhost is one of the most popular VPN services around today.
Completely Free Trial
No strings. You just need a credit card when you sign up for CyberGhost, to create an account. This will provide you with a unique account identifier (EUIID) that you can use to log in to the service. You’ll need this identifier to get around restrictions that might apply to you based on your location.
You can also use the identifier to log in to other services that use the same credentials, like a bank or social media site. Once you’re logged in, you can take advantage of CyberGhost’s many features to protect your online privacy. You’ll have access to ad-free browsing, a kill switch to switch off your computer if you walk away, and more.
What Are Its Main Features?
Ad-free Browsing: CyberGhost promises that you won’t incur any annoying web ads while using its VPN service. This is a big claim, as many VPN services only allow you to access their services with their ad-free plans.
Security: CyberGhost’s kill switch provides added security, as it will automatically sever your computer’s internet connection if you walk away from it for an extended period of time. Access to geo-locational restrictions: CyberGhost’s server switching feature automatically reroutes your internet traffic so that you’re able to access content from wherever you’re located in the world. Easy to use:
CyberGhost’s user interface is easy to manoeuvre, making it possible for non-technical users to easily use the service.
5. VyprVPN – Great Free-Trial VPN for Android
VyprVPN is a virtual private network (VPN) that was developed to provide a secure online streaming service.
Although banned in Russia, The VPN service uses a combination of encryption, authentication and advanced protocol communication to improve overall security and privacy while streaming content.
VyprVPN was developed by a Swedish company which specialises in providing these types of services. The VPN service uses a combination of encryption, authentication and advanced protocol communication to improve overall security and privacy while streaming content.
VyprVPN’s website explains that the company is trying to offer the “most secure and private way to watch TV, download TV shows, stream videos, surf the web or wherever else you want to be super safe and secure online.”
It also provides built-in security features such as a kill switch, data encryption and a network kill switch. With all these security features, it’s easy to see why it has become so popular in the VPN community.
How Does VyprVPN Work?
When you sign up for VyprVPN you’ll need to choose between three different plans: Free Trial, Professional or Premier. The basic components of a VPN are still the same, so don’t worry if you’ve never used a VPN before.
The free trial allows you to get a feel for the service and its options before making a decision. After forming your own impression of the service, you can choose one of the three subscription options: annual, monthly or yearly.
What is a VPN?
A VPN is a remote data encryption technology that uses a network of computers to encrypt your data and make it harder to trace back to you.
Most are servers that connect to the internet via an encrypted tunnel. The encrypted data is then sent through the VPN server and out onto the internet.
A VPN could also be referred to as a virtual private network, an encrypted data connection, an encrypted tunnel, or an encryption protocol.
How to use VPN encryption tunnels to obfuscate your traffic
When you use a VPN to access restricted or geo-restricted websites or services, you take some of the strain off your network connection by hiding your IP address.
However, even with encryption and tunnelling techniques, your data remains susceptible to snooping by third parties. That’s where virtual private networks come in. These encrypt all of the traffic between your computer and VPN servers.
This protects your data from prying eyes – including government agencies and hackers – because it hides your true location. This also gives you a secure means of staying in control of your online identity at any given time as well as unblock restrictions on social platforms such as Instagram, while browsing.
When to use a VPN
A VPN can be used to protect your privacy and even secure financial transactions, your computer or smartphone from hackers, identity thieves, or even government snooping.
But a VPN is not a magic solution to protect you from everything. It will not protect you from determined government surveillance or ensure that your data is not stolen in the event of a data breach. However, a VPN can help you to be a layer away from vultures.
Paid vs. Free VPNs
There are many VPN providers that offer free services with limited features. They may not have a valid login or encryption method, they may offer poor speeds and limited download and upload limits, or they may only offer a free limited number of server locations. Many free VPNs, however, don’t offer robust privacy protection or offer end-to-end encryption.
That means that the VPN service provider has access to your data connections and can snoop on your online activities. Furthermore, some VPN providers offer a free limited number of server locations. This means that you will only be able to connect to servers that are part of the VPN service provider’s network. Using a trusted provider offers the following benefits:
Benefits of using a paid VPN:
- ☑️ Encryption of data at the network level. That is, your data is protected from prying eyes because it is being sent through a VPN server.
- ☑️ High level of privacy. Your IP address is replaced by a random number generated by the VPN server. The same applies to the server IP. If the VPN server is within your network, the IP address will be the same as yours, and if it is remote, it will be one of the IP addresses provided by the VPN server.
- ☑️ Faster connection. A VPN connection will result in lower average data transfer rates.
- ☑️ Extra features: - Some VPN providers offer premium services with extra features such as an enhanced user experience, custom web apps, and dedicated support. - It is often worth paying a few dollars extra for a premium service. The extra money will help you get a better experience.
Top VPNs for Android 📒 – FAQs
What is an Encryption Tunnel?
A tunnelling protocol is a standard protocol used to connect two networks. For example, when you connect to the internet via a modem, the data is passed from the modem to your computer and from your computer to the Internet. A tunnelling protocol is used to automatically establish a connection between the two networks without the need for a password or encryption.
What are the Benefits of VPNs?
There are a few reasons you should use a VPN when using the Internet. If you want to stay in control of your online identity, a VPN is the perfect tool. You can create an “alias” for yourself on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, for example, by using a VPN. This allows you to access those platforms without having to reveal your real identity.
There are a number of benefits of using a VPN encryption software such as the following:
- 🌞 Increased privacy - Because your data is being sent through a VPN, no one can monitor what websites you visit, what apps you use, or what information you automatically send and receive while online.
- 🌞 Enhanced security - A VPN offers strong encryption and authentication protocols to protect your data. Meanwhile, the encryption key is held securely by the VPN server.
- 🌞 Stability - Network and server administrators will generally be more patient while you’re connected via a VPN. Your computer will be communicating with the server from a different location and will be as reliable as if you had implemented the VPN on a separate computer.
- 🌞 Standardisation - Because your data is being transmitted over a standardised connection, software, and protocol, it’s more likely to be accepted by third parties.