A VPN is essentially an encrypted tunnel that lets you access content that’s restricted by your own country’s laws.
You can use it to stream Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, etc.
To avoid geo-blocking issues, you can use a VPN to access Netflix (or another streaming service) libraries even if you are in a country that is outside of that library’s location.
Watch American, Nigerian, British and more content without a problem - by using a virtual private network to anonymise yourself.
Here is a list of some of the best VPNs for streaming.
Table of Contents:
Our Top Picks of Best VPNs for Streaming (UK) ❤️
At a glance, before you use it to watch your favourite HBO show, what are the top characteristics for a top-notch VPN for streaming?
- 📺 When it comes to watching TV, most people are limited to the local channels available in their country. This means you'll need a VPN service that allows you to connect anywhere to access the best shows and streaming services. We know this can be a scary prospect, but with VPNs like NordVPN, it's easier than ever before.
- Top VPN apps are available on the major platforms, such as Android, Apple TV, Fire Stick and Roku. Many also work with gaming consoles and streaming devices like Amazon Fire TV and Google Chromecast devices.
- 🛰️ With so many options out there, it's easy to make the mistake of picking the wrong one. Not every VPN is capable of unblocking libraries without restriction in your own country.
1. NordVPN – Overall Best VPN for Streaming
NordVPN was founded in 2012 and it has a proven track record of being one of the top VPN providers around. In the year 2017 alone, it was named 'Best Private Internet Access Service' by PCMag. This makes NordVPN one of the most trusted VPN providers in the world.
Users can connect to servers in 60 countries, with the USA being the top priority. NordVPN has servers located in 12 different countries across Asia, Europe, and the Americas.
How it works
A VPN is a virtual private network, which will help you to tunnel your internet connection securely and bypass Internet filters. It will create an encrypted tunnel between your computer and the VPN server. Internet services that offer VPNs are private networks that allow you to securely access content from various locations and view web content from any location.
In order to unblock certain channels or websites in your country, you'll need a VPN that works with these particular services. For example, if you want to watch US Netflix, you'll need a NordVPN subscription that allows you to connect to a US server. You can also use a VPN to spoof your location and access region-specific services like Hulu or BBC iPlayer. In order to do this, you'll need to use a VPN that has an estimated speed of at least 10Mbps. This is usually achievable with solid connections but it will depend on your location.
How to stream in the UK with NordVPN for US or Canadian shows
The first thing you need to do is download the NordVPN app from the App Store or Google Play. From there, search for "NordVPN." You'll then be able to choose from a plethora of options to connect to a server in your country. To watch US Netflix in your own country, select the "Asia" or "Europe" option when connecting to a server in Asia or Europe.
When you're logged onto the NordVPN app, choose the "Canada" or "U.S." option when connecting to a server in Asia or Europe. From there, you'll be able to view Netflix Canadian content and stream U.S. Netflix. To watch U.S. Netflix in Canada, you'll need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) that allows you to access US Netflix from within Canada.
NordVPN UK Costs
If you're willing to fork out the cash, NordVPN (review) offers a 4-year plan that comes with extra features. This includes a free bonus of three months' free data, free support, a 30-day money-back guarantee and a one-year subscription plan. For those on a tighter budget, the basic version of NordVPN is under a fiver per month. This is a better deal than many cheaper VPNs, but it does come with fewer features.
What Are Its Main Features? Summary 📙
NordVPN has plenty of features that are sure to appeal to both beginners and advanced users. The user interface and the many available security options make the service easy to use. Additionally, the strict no-logging policy ensures that users' privacy is protected at all times. The VPN service is based on the OpenVPN protocol, which means it's open-source and reliable. Additionally, it's decently fast with a good amount of security. NordVPN's server network tops out at 750 servers, which gives the service nationwide coverage. This should help it get the job done even in remote areas.
- ☑️ Great privacy and security: The VPN service is based on the OpenVPN protocol, making it open-source and reliable. This means that users' privacy and data security are of the highest priority for the team behind the application.
- ☑️ Easy to use interface: The app is user-friendly and comes with a good range of options for users who want to get into the ins and outs of the VPN service quickly. Encryption that works everywhere: The VPN service uses strong encryption protocols, making it hard for unauthorised parties to access users' data.
- ☑️ Fast network: The network performance is excellent, with no signs of drops or hiccups. This is important, as it means fewer chances for snoops to interfere with users' browsing sessions.
- ☑️ No logging policy: The no-logging policy means that the service keeps no records of user activity. This is great for users who want ultimate privacy and don't want to give any away. Stable connection: The connection quality is good, with no major issues that affect users' enjoyment of the service.
2. ProtonVPN - No Logs Top VPNs for Streaming
Whenever you’re using your computer to access the Internet, you need a secure connection.
ProtonVPN is one of the best ways to keep your information safe and unblock content in countries that block access to websites like Netflix or Hulu.
But sometimes when you want to watch American movies and television shows, something will come up and make it impossible for you to connect to the Internet.
Although ProtonVPN is a popular VPN service, it’s still in beta. The service is not only designed to unblock websites like Netflix and Hulu, but it also allows users to watch American live TV and movies through a virtual private network that is optimised for speed and privacy. The idea of the service is simple. It is a tunnel VPN that creates a secure connection between your computer and a VPN server. Once you are inside the tunnel, you can securely access the Internet through the server. Through the server, you can view American TV shows and movies, as well as other content from around the world.
How to Unblock Libraries with ProtonVPN?
Here are some tips:
- Make sure your computer has enough storage space. If this is your first time using ProtonVPN on your computer, we recommend getting as much space as possible so that there isn’t too much data stored online at any one time.
- Check if there are any add-ons or extensions that conflict with the service being used. If so, disable them or remove them completely until you have tested unblocking American content with ProtonVPN again after they have been blocked by your government.
- Change your web browser’s settings so it will only connect with sites that are allowed by the government where you live or work or school. For example, go into “Internet Options” (assuming it’s on the “Advanced” setting) and scroll down until you see “Proxy Server” under Networking then uncheck “Use Proxy Servers” if required by your location or school rules.
ProtonVPN UK Costs
One of the most expensive features of ProtonVPN is the price. The price for a year of ProtonVPN is £5.99 per month or £3.99 per month for the first 6 months. After that, the price is £3.99 per month for the rest of the term. After looking at the UK costs of ProtonVPN, we have to mention that it is not the most expensive VPN out there. At the same time, it is not the cheapest either.
How to Use ProtonVPN ⚙️
If you want to use ProtonVPN on just one device, you can set up two-device mode. In this case, one device is a computer and the other is a mobile device. You can switch between computers and mobile devices using the virtual private network (VPN) app on your computer or the app on your mobile device.
There is also the option to manually set up the encryption protocols, the bandwidth limit, and the number of connections you want to use.
3. ExpressVPN - Premium Top VPNs for Streaming
ExpressVPN is an incredibly fast service that unblocks entertainment websites, including Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Sling, Ad-Hoc, and Vudu.
The virtual private network company is based in the US, but has servers in over 50 countries around the world.
With more than 1,000 servers in 50 countries, ExpressVPN (review) has something for everyone:
- Use up to three devices simultaneously
- Watch streaming videos with no data limit
- Even better, their privacy and security is second to none
It’s easy to set up on your smartphone or tablet. You can access the apps on your computer, laptop, iOS or Android device and you don’t even have to be logged into your account on the server.
Stream Foreign Shows From the UK
To stream videos and live movies from other countries, while in the United Kingdom with ExpressVPN, log onto your account and select the US server. Then, in the same window, select the “Connect to VPN” option. Next, select “Use this connection” and choose your Internet connection.
Change your IP Address to Stream Faster with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN has servers in almost every country in the world, which means it has a wide variety of IP addresses. These can be used to stream faster. To change your IP Address to a more reliable one, visit the “More” option in the top navigation bar and select “More Settings”. Now, select the “Routing” option and make sure that “Default Gateway” is set to your server address.
ExpressVPN UK Costs 💳
Some VPN services allow you to stream videos without paying a monthly fee. However, it costs you money to use the service and you have to keep it running. It’s usually a subscription model, with one or two free months, or a fee per year. For example, ExpressVPN is billed on a monthly basis, but you can cancel and stop paying if you want to stop using the service.
4. PureVPN - Game-Friendly Top VPNs for Streaming
PureVPN is a high-quality service offering many features, including a free account with unlimited bandwidth, and a premium account with an under a fiver/month price.
PureVPN started in 2011 as a Hong Kong-based security company, founded by former Google employees. It is privately owned, and as of 2017, headquartered in Singapore.
All features are based on open source software, including VPN server software, client software, and the underlying networking stack. The company has been very open with its source code, allowing third-party developers to implement unique customizations and features.
Their API allows developers to build their own custom VPN clients. It’s totally open to all developers who want to create VPN applications using the Pure platform. They even encourage people to analyse their open source code of existing private networking apps.
How to Stream with PureVPN
Globalisation is a thing now, no longer a concept for the future. One aspect of this is that people who are willing to pay for a service, but happen to live in a different geolocation to the provider, can still get that content.
Suppose you are a sports fan, you might want to consider using VPN to watch your favourite games online. It’s a simple way to watch your favourite teams, leagues or colleges on international networks like HBO Sports without registration hassles.
5. TunnelBear - Game-Friendly Top VPNs for Streaming
TunnelBear is a free, open-source, just-as-secure VPN service that you can use to encrypt online traffic from your computer or laptop to your smartphone or desktop device.
It does this by tunnelling your data through a “virtual tunnel” protected by encryption software.
When you connect to TunnelBear, you’re not really connected to the internet; the data you send and receive is going through an encrypted tunnel on your computer or laptop. The data is protected because it’s in the form of an encrypted “packet”.
How to use TunnelBear to Stream Video
The best way to use TunnelBear to stream video is to use the free VPN version first. If you want to continue, and are pleased with how well it unblocks services you want, you can always upgrade to the pro version. You can also use TunnelBear to watch your favourite online video services like HBO, Showtime, and TV shows, as well as music videos.
You can even use it to unblock websites like Patreon or Steemit, so you can still enjoy your favourite content even when you’re on the move. But there may be some limits, such as unblocking free WiFi found in public libraries that have been designed to filter out recognised VPNs. While ISPs don’t have an easy time detecting the IP address of people who use a virtual private network, they can often detect when a device is using a VPN.
Tips for Using a VPN on Windows, Mac, and Android
If you’re using a Windows computer, the process is very similar to using a VPN with a Mac or a Linux machine:
- Open the Start menu and select “Settings” or navigate to “Control Panel.”
- In the “Privacy” or “Security” menu, click “Network.”
- On the properties page, select the “Obtain a VPN connection” checkbox, and then click on the “Use the settings in the Location and Networking section” button.
- On a Windows machine, you can also go to Settings > System > Network > under “Tunnelling.” In this menu, select the “Use this VPN connection for this location” option.
- On a Mac, go to System Preferences > Users > Add User or click on the “New User” menu, and then select “VPN” from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Type” menu, select “connects to computer” or “connects to server” and then “Connect”. In the “Proxy” menu, select “No proxy” or select a server and click “Connect.”
Let’s have a look at some aspects of understanding how to choose the best VPN for streaming. This will cover some of the basic surrounding aspects to this topic.
VPNs Are Simple Today
Virtual private networks are so simple to use today that - whether you’re using one of the best VPNs for on desktop or mobile - it’s as simple as downloading, selecting the region you want to connect to, then hitting ‘Quick Connect’ 📺.
That’s it. But for a bit of history, traditional VPNs were designed to help protect your privacy and aspects of security online. Instead of connecting to a centralised server, it created an encrypted tunnel between your computer and its service.
VPN servers route your traffic in a way that varies based on whether you’re connecting to them from the U.S., Canada, Europe or another country with different restrictions on what services are accessible. Here are some ways you can use a VPN to stream TV and videos without losing speed or quality.
Use a VPN to Stream Netflix
Some VPNs won’t let you access Netflix U.S. while others let you access Netflix US without any changes to your browser or device, allowing you to connect to Netflix US servers and receive the block-free service.
Which is why any decent, even budget VPN, will have servers across the world that are easy to choose from and connect to. For example, you can start by choosing a European server and then shift your connection to the U.S. to gain access to all Netflix US servers.
Use a VPN for Internet Security
Most conventional VPN services come with a variety of useful features, but they often don’t offer enough security to keep you safe online. That’s why using a VPN can be great simply when you’re protecting your online identity.
First, a VPN protects your internet connection from eavesdropping. That means a VPN encrypts your data as it travels through your computer or smartphone and prevents anyone else from seeing what you’re doing online.
Furthermore, a VPN also gives you internet kill switches. These are programmatic methods of protecting your data and anonymity. When you choose to disconnect from a VPN, the encryption hardware or software is shut off, effectively “killing” your connection.
Kill switches are important for two reasons:
- ☑️ First, it prevents your data from being exposed to the internet when you disconnect.
- ☑️ And second, it protects your identity when you’re using a remote connection, like with a VPN connection to your TV or laptop.
Top VPNs for Streaming 📒 – FAQs
Is Using a VPN to Stream Illegal?
VPNs are used to get around the “online piracy” laws in many countries. These laws limit how and when you can stream or download content. For example, in the U.S., you can’t stream or download films, TV shows, or music from Netflix or Hulu Plus in HD for more than two weeks after you’ve paid for them. In some countries, it’s even harder: You can’t watch YouTube or Instagram videos without a VPN, and you can’t stream Netflix in China because of the “Great Firewall”.
Can You Stream in Ultra-HD with a VPN?
Yes, of course but only if you already have a great internet connection...
What is the Difference Between a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and a Secure UDP Proxy?
A VPN is a kind of encrypted tunnelling service that you can use to encrypt data from your computer to your laptop or other device. Meanwhile, a secure UDP proxy doesn’t encrypt data, but instead follows the data as it moves between your computer and the server and then forwards it on to the recipient.